At CAHI, work is more than a job - it's a commitment to and passion for improving animal health and welfare in Canada. Ensuring we have healthier animals for a healthier Canada by improving access to safe, effective and innovating animal health products for Canadian veterinarians, animal owners and producers is at the heart of what we do. Are you ready to join a dynamic team leading Canada’s animal health industry into the future? If so, let’s talk.
About the Position
We are currently seeking a Programs Director to join the CAHI staff team. The successful candidate will be a proactive, strategic thinker whose skills will contribute to the efficient, systematic operation of CAHI activities and programs. The position provides overall leadership and direction for areas of activity including membership programs and services; the Code of Marketing Practice; environmental stewardship; stakeholder relations; and any other areas deemed appropriate by the President & CEO. As an industry advocate, he/she/they implement(s) strategies to effectively and efficiently serve the interests of the CAHI membership, and lead and grow the programs, activities, impact and influence of the association.
The Programs Director is required to perform a range of duties including, but not limited to:
- Effectively engaging with members, partners and stakeholders to represent and serve the needs of the Canadian animal health industry.
- Working closely with the Board of Directors and the President & CEO to lead the implementation of new or revised CAHI activities and programs.
- Leading the implementation of the newly developed CAHI Membership Strategy and Roadmap
- Endeavouring to be at the forefront of issues that may impact industry and/or CAHI members and working with the President & CEO to develop appropriate management approaches and evaluate their results against organizational goals.
- Building positive and productive relationships with strategic decision-making bodies, including: Health Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, provincial regulatory, veterinary and producer groups.
- Advising on government relations strategies.
- Exercising diplomacy and political acuity to build strong relationships within the veterinary, agriculture and agri-food industries and working closely with the President and CEO to investigate opportunities for strategic alliances with other organizations.
- Promoting openness and transparency through support and oversight of the CAHI Code of Marketing Practice and Public Trust Committees in their respective roles within the CAHI.
- Working closely with the President and CEO to ensure CAHI compliance with the federal Lobbyist Act and provincial lobbying legislation.
- Leading CAHI’s Environmental Stewardship Program, including advocacy, policy research, communications and stakeholder relations for environmental stewardship. Playing a key role in the oversight of the effective delivery of the Cleanfarms obsolete and unwanted animal medications collections.
- Forecasting and managing the Annual Convention and Environmental Stewardship operating budget lines.
- Providing input for effective internal and external corporate communications strategies and programs, including social media, public relations and proactive crisis and issues resources.
- Supporting the President and CEO in planning, implementation, delivery and evaluation of CAHI events. Working with CAHI’s external event planning team and the Annual Convention Committee on Convention planning.
- Representing CAHI’s President & CEO at conferences and other speaking opportunities, when required.
- You are an innovative thinker with an entrepreneurial mindset
- You have demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Canadian animal health industry.
- You are a people person. You enjoy connecting with others and you demonstrate emotional intelligence, active listening and managing doubt to share and support CAHI’s vision and mission while adapting to the public.
- You are an innovator, planner, good at prioritizing, can execute project plans and close the work to achieve goals and meet specific success criteria at established milestones.
- You have an advanced university degree in animal science, veterinary medicine, journalism/public affairs, public policy, or a related field.
- You have at least five years of progressive leadership experience with demonstrated excellence in developing and managing projects, plans and budgets.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. French written and oral skills are an asset.
- Proficiency in the use of current information technology, including programs and applications
- Direct experience in the Canadian animal health industry or non-profit industry/trade/professional associations is a valuable asset.
CAHI is committed to accommodating any applicant with a disability, as required by law, during the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Please notify us if you require accommodation
We are an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for the CAHI Programs Director position, please submit a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 24, 2022. Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview the week of January 24th